NEWS & BLOG
Views: 20 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-06-28 Origin: Site
2021 has undoubtedly been a good 12 months for air forwarders with record revenue, profits and volumes, but it's also a year at the top as Kuehne+Nagel knocks DHL out of the pack.
1. The latest annual statistics from Armstrong & Associates show that in 2021, Kuehne+Nagel is already the world's largest air freight forwarder, and its traffic volume has increased by 54.9% to 2.22 million tons.
Kuehne+Nagel benefits from market and acquisition of Apex Logistics. Apex Logistics' first integration in May 2021 accounted for about half of the growth. At the time of the acquisition, Kuehne+Nagel said Apex handled about 750,000 tons of air cargo per year.
"Limited global cargo capacity in 2021 requires the Air Logistics business unit to provide customized solutions," said Kuehne+Nagel. "Demand for Kuehne+Nagel's services remains strong in areas such as pharmaceuticals, essentials and e-commerce. This makes the business unit Gained a huge market share.”
“In 2021, the increase in demand for air transport services is generated by a solid economic rebound, but also from challenges in the maritime supply chain; coupled with the long-term slump in passenger aircraft belly capacity due to low passenger travel frequency, resulting in insufficient air cargo market capacity and Freight rates are high.
"Similar to the shipping industry, a favourable service mix, strong growth in the trans-Pacific market, access to unprecedented charter capacity and operational efficiencies in a difficult environment have contributed to the substantial margin expansion."
2. Overall, air cargo volumes for the top 25 companies increased by 19.2% to 18.1 million tonnes compared to those occupying the top 25 in 2020, as the industry benefited from a rebound in demand and capacity. The volume of DHL Supply Chain and Global Forwarding also increased by 25.7% above the average level to 2.096 million tons.
3. DSV has lagged behind its rivals in airfreight volume growth after years of acquisition-fueled growth. In the first quarter of 2021, the forwarder reported lower-than-expected market growth as "affected by the disruption of Panalpina's operations following the integration". However, the company recovered in tandem with the market later this year.
4. DB Schenker's position has not changed and remains fourth, with a 31.4% increase in volume.
- DB Schenker says substantial growth in 2021. This is due to the early purchase of chartered freight capacity, which not only enables existing customers to ensure the smooth operation of their transport chains, but also enables DB Schenker to attract new customers, given the current shortage of capacity.
- In 2021, the air cargo market is undercapacity and freight rates are rising strongly.
- At the geopolitical level, trade restrictions also present further obstacles.
- Despite this, the tonnage of the market has grown considerably compared to the previous year's crisis. The extreme volatility affecting the maritime market also helped the recovery. Many companies are trying to bridge supply chain bottlenecks with air freight. Demand has now surpassed pre-pandemic levels, but capacity remains significantly lower, according to the international industry association IATA.
5. Expeditors increased by 26% year-on-year, surpassing the average ranking, and rose by 1 place; UPS Supply Chain Solutions dropped by 1 place, carrying 988,880 tons; Nippon Express increased by 34.9% year-on-year, ranking 1 place; Sinotrans increased 32.2% year-on-year, ranking 4 places; Kintetsu A year-on-year increase of 40.5%, up one place; Bollore Logistics, a year-on-year increase of 14.3%, lower than the average; Hellmann, a year-on-year increase of 18%; and Kerry Logistics, which was acquired by SF Express, a year-on-year increase of 5.3%;
6. The ranking of AWOT operating 486,216 tons of air cargo rose 9 places to 13th in the world.
7. CEVA logistics increased by 30.6% year-on-year, up 1 place. With the help of the parent company CMA CGM, it is expected to have greater development in 2022.
8. The volume of CTS increased by 4.5% year-on-year, ranking down one place. CTS and Yunhui Huanhang Travel Service (Hainan) Co., Ltd. signed a LAZADA special cross-border e-commerce cargo transportation service contract, with a contract value of about 160 million yuan. From June 11, 2022, the flight frequency will be increased from three times a week to every day. After the schedule of flight schedules is adjusted, the total number of flights is 294.
CTS International Logistics said that through the signing of this contract, CTS International Logistics has successfully opened a scheduled international all-cargo route from Kunming to Kuala Lumpur, which is the first new scheduled international all-cargo route for Kunming Airport in 2022, and it is also the company’s customer LAZADA (the largest in Southeast Asia). One of the online shopping websites) is the key link of the whole chain service developed by the company, which is conducive to meeting the logistics needs of the company's customer structure changes. Through marketing-driven, technology-driven, and global network construction, CTS International Logistics has steadily increased the number of direct customers and further enhanced its global service capabilities.
9. Yusen Logistics, DACHSER, GEODIS, Crane Worldwide Logistics, CH Robinson, NNR, Pilot Freight Services, FedEX Logistis, DIMERCO Express, cargo-partner ranked 16th to 25th.